Thursday, June 18, 2009

Belly

I am starting to get wider, as I've mentioned, and I'm starting to get a little bit of a belly. Since I'm relatively early in the process, I tend to think, though, that it's my intestines and bowels being shifted around by my growing uterus, but that's neither here nor there. The point is, I'm having a really hard time finding clothes to wear to work!

None of my pants close around my waist, but that's what belly bands are for. I'm having more difficulty on top. None of my button up shirts go around me anymore. None of my tanktops are big enough, and they're all on the shorter side, so they ride up and expose my stomach. Today I needed to look nice for work and I picked out a wrap dress that I thought would accommodate me, but when I put it on this morning, it looked really stupid. Too small. I tried on a few other things and none of them fit, so I ended up going with my only sheath dress that still fits (but only barely) and a loose cardigan on top.

On my way home today, I stopped at the Motherhood Maternity outlet to see if I could find a few pieces that would get me through this awkward stage. Once I tell my work, I will feel better about wearing maternity clothes (e.g., smocky, empire waisted tops and rotating through only a few pairs of pants), but at this point, since I haven't told them, I'm trying to keep my wardrobe as close to my normal clothes as possible. Plus I'm conscious of that fact that I'm only going to get bigger and I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff that's just going to be too small in a week or two (although I think that's probably part of the process of being pregnant and wearing clothes).

I ended up getting 2 sweaters-- an oatmeal-colored short-sleeved cardigan and an open sort of duster in a pretty teal color-- a button up shirt that has room in it for my boobs and belly, and three pair of capri pants with elastic waistbands. I got a brown pair, a black pair, and a white pair, and my plan is to wear those all summer. I also got a pair of gray pants that have an elastic band. All that for $150, which doesn't seem too bad to me considering I tried to buy things in sizes such that I'd be able to wear them for a while (for example, I bought large pants, not medium).

I also saw a denim skirt that I liked, but it was $35 and I couldn't bring myself to spend the extra money.

I'm so excited to be able to get up tomorrow morning and put on my clothes and not be uncomfortable or worry about a wardrobe malfunction!

No comments:

Post a Comment