Monday, September 21, 2009

Too much advice

People are sweet and well-meaning. Most of them, anyway. But sometimes they drive me fucking crazy.

Mike and I are in the process of registering for baby stuff. That's been a process in and of itself, because we each have our own ideas about how it should go. But we are finally mostly on the same page about most things and it's been getting easier. It was, anyway, until a little bit ago.

Last night, Mike was IMing with a friend who has a couple of kids and he mentioned to her that he was working on our registry. She then came up with this list of things to get and to not get, and of course has opinions on everything. Mike ate it up hook, line and sinker. (Now that I know this, it actually helps explain how/why some things got on our registry that we'd never talked about and that I am quite sure we don't need and won't use.)

The big thing he took from her is that rather than getting the Medela Pump in Style (PIS) breast pump that I want, that I should get some single (only one breast at a time) hand pump because it's less expensive and it's quiet and it will make me feel less like a cow. I tried to explain to Mike that I talked to people and read books and did research and that's how I decided that I wanted the PIS and that it's not like I just picked the more expensive one because it's more expensive (A LOT more expensive. Like $300 vs. $85.). He blew me off and insists that I think about it more.

I'm so frustrated! I don't want a hand pump, I want one that is power-operated so my hands don't get tired from pumping all the time. I know the PIS may be louder, but I don't care-- breastfeeding is natural and if they can hear the pump, people are going to have to deal with the fact that I'm pumping. I currently think that I'm going to feel like a cow no matter what-- after all, I'm being pumped to provide milk to another person-- so why on earth would I buy a bump that takes twice as long (as least, since I imagine it will be 2x as long to do each breast, and if my hands get tired from pumping, I am sure it will be more slow than using the PIS)?

My plan is to ignore him. The PIS is on the registry, that's the one I want. I have reasons for wanting it, I'm the one who is going to be pumping, and if he asks me about it (I won't bring it up), I'll just explain my reasons to him and he can deal with it. When milk starts coming out of his nipples, he can pick a fucking pump.

1 comment:

  1. Here's some more unsolicited advice, yeah get the PIS... get the best most super duper pump you can afford. You won't be sorry. And his female should know better than to tell someone's husband what pump his wife should have, duh.

    ReplyDelete